Who needs the pressure of New Year’s Resolutions? Instead, commit yourself to checking out these top wine & spirits trends during 2013…in the company of good friends, of course!
1. Drink smarter. The world of wine is immense. From learning the basics to discovering new frontiers, wine education is sure to elevate your enjoyment and excitement about wine. Bottlenotes.com recently highlighted some top classes around the country.
2. Bottled cocktails. Want to avoid getting stuck forever mixing cocktails at your next party? Mix up some bottled cocktails ahead of time! Purchase 32oz glass bottles and try our favorite recipes, with a bit of filtered water added to simulate the natural watering down effect of ice cubes. Chill, serve, and go enjoy your party!
3. Sherry. Yes, Sherry. These divine fortified wines from the famed Jerez region of Spain run the gamut from dry, light and refreshing to sweet, rich and decadent. Bloomberg.com recently recapped NYC’s first ever Sherryfest, an event that proved testament to the resurging popularity of this classic wine. Try selections from the renowned Williams & Humbert.
4. How sweet it is. Drinking dry wines all the time can be, well, dry. Sweet wines – including whites made from Moscato and a wide array of red blends – have catapulted to the top in terms of sales and popularity. Try some budget-friendly options, including Roscato and Cavit Moscato.
5. The mystique of Mezcal. This distinctively smoky spirit is made, like tequila, from the agave plant in Mexico. However, that may be where the similarities end.
This niche spirit is showing strong growth in the U.S., as it continues to appear on fine spirits and cocktails lists around the country. If you haven’t discovered it yet, 2013 just might be the time. Try the artisanal Los Amantes.